People often say they know something "like the back of their hands " to indicate that they are familiar with its top to bottom . But how much do you really know about your own body ? I've got some tidbits that may surprise .
* The small intestine is about four times as long as the average adult is tall . If it wasn't back and forth upon itself , its length of 18 to 23 feet wouldn't fit into the abdominal cavity . Making everything rather messy .
* Your nose is not as sensitive as a dog's . But it can remember 50,000 different scents .
* Did you know that you get a new stomach lining every three to four days ?
If you didn't the strong acids the stomach uses to digest food also digest the stomach .
* An adult has fewer bones than a baby . We start off life with 350 bones but because bones fuse together during growth , we end up with 206 bones as adults .
* Don't stick out your tongue if you want to hide your identity . Similar to finger prints , everyone has a unique tongue print .
* Your pet isn't the only one in the shed house with shedding problem . Humans shed about 600,000 of skin every hour .
* The source of smelly feet like smelly armpits is sweat.
And people sweat buckets from their feet . A pair of feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat in a day .
* The air from a human sneeze can travel at speeds of 100miles per hour or more.....another reason to cover your nose or duck when you hear one coming your way .
* Blood has a long road to travel laid and to the end , there are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body . And the hard working heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood through those vessels everyday .
* You may not want to swim in your spit . But if you saved it all you could . In a life time , the average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva ......enough to full two swimming pool .
* By 60years of age , 60% of men and 40% of women will snore . But the sound of a snore can seem to deafening .
While snores average around 60 decibels. The noise level of normal speech , they can reach more than 80 decibels . 80 decibels is as loud as the sound of a pneumatic drill breaking up concrete .
Noise level over 85 decibels are considered hazardous to the human ear .
Friday, 9 August 2013
Diet does not mean boring drinks
How do you lose weight and still get to drink ? Here you have two (2) of the homemade weight loss drinks that will allow you to cool your palate and still stay on your calorie restricted diet.
These homemade drinks are easy to make if you have the right ingredients on hand. None of them take a long time to make and all of them are very healthy for you. They will help you with your weight loss goals .
There are times when you want cold drinks and most of the commercial drinks, including fruit juices are full of unwanted sugar and preservatives. With these homemade drinks you can avoid the pitfalls of extra calories and harmful preservatives while still cooling off with a refreshing drink.
Tomato Yogurt ShakeThe tomato is a fruit that has rich anti oxidant properties. It is also full of vitamin C and vitamin A. it has practically no fat but has dietary fiber.
Yogurt is rich in calcium and vitamin A. If you use the low fat yogurt made from toned and skimmed milk, all the better. It is a great way to get your dairy calcium if you are lactose intolerant and can't drink milk.
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Blend the tomatoes after washing them in a blender.
- Add the yogurt and blend till smoothly mixed.
- Pour into a jug through a strainer and add as much water as you like to get the right consistency.
- Add the lemon juice and the salt to taste. Stir well. Serve cold.
The smoothie is a cooling drink and is very flexible. There is no restriction on what fruit you can use in a smoothie, although it is better not to use highly citrus fruits.
Berries, melons and more fleshy fruits work best in a yogurt based smoothie.At times I have even used apples with watermelon and it has come out quite tasty. The fresh fruit smoothie is high in vitamins, anti oxidants and calcium. Though, a Diabetics person can choose from a wide variety of fresh fruit to use.
- Mixed fruits
- 1 cup of yogurt
- Ice cubes
- Take the assorted fresh fruit that you would like to use in the smoothie and peel and prepare it.
- Now add the prepared fruit pulp to the blender along with the yogurt and the ice cubes.
- Blend till smooth, and serve immediately.
...Totally Worth it ...
Monday, 29 July 2013
It is best to work on making your own lashes long, full and thick so that your eyes are noticed with or without make-up. There several inexpensive methods for enhancing eyelash growth. The methods are quick and simple and it's likely you have all you need in your kitchen or medicine cabinet.
- Apply olive oil or castor oil to your eyelashes before bed time .
- Use a clean mascara brush to apply the oil as if it were mascara .
- Rub the oil between your fingers and thumb to apply if you don't have a mascara brush .
- Remove the oil in the morning with a mild soap and rinse with water .
- Wash off any mascara or eye liner .
- Use petroleum jelly on your eyelashes .
- Use a clean mascara brush to apply or use the fingers .
- Leave petroleum jelly on overnight and wash in the morning .
- Mix glycerin or egg white with castor oil , this will strengthen and lengthen your lashes .
- Use in small amount, such as two drops from an eye dropper mixed into 1/2 teaspoon of oil .
- Use to coat your mascara brush or fingers couple of times.
- Let air get to your lashes.
- Use mascara and eye liners less frequently ; this is one of the effective eyelashes care techniques.
- When you wear make-up on your eyes, minimize the time .
- Wash it off as soon as you get home .
- Cure the dandruff on your hair .
- Conditions that leads to dandruff have a bad effect on your eyelashes too .
- Manage your stress and avoid unhealthy eating habits, both can trigger dandruff and weaken hair health .
- Eat nutritious and adequately balanced meal .
Things you need
Olive / castor oil
Clean mascara brush
Balanced diet / healthy living
Eat for good vision - the eyesight can be protected with the type of food on your plate. Studies have it that Omega 3- fatty acids, Lutein, Zinc and Vit. C and E may help to ward off age related vision problem like ; Mascular Degeneration and Cataracts.
Quit smoking - smoking makes it more likely to get Cataracts, Optic nerve damage, and Mascular degeneration.
Wear sunglasses - the right kind of glasses will help protect your eyes from the sun's ultra violent (UV) rays. Choose sunglasses that block 99% - 100% of both UVA and UVB rays. Wrap around lenses help protect eyes from the side while polarized lenses reduce glare .
Look away from the computer - starting a computer screen can cause eye strain, blurry vision, difficulty focusing at a distance, dry eyes, headaches, weak back and shoulder pain.
- Make sure your glasses or contact lens prescription is up-to-date and adequate for computer use.
- Position your computer, so that your eyes are level with the top of the monitor.
- Avoid glare at your computer from windows and light.
- Use anti-glare screen if possible.
- If your eyes are dry, blink more.
- Every 20minutes, rest the eyes by looking down 20feet away for 20seconds.
- At least every 2hours, get up and take a 15minutes break.
... stay healthy ...
Thursday, 21 March 2013
You may be trying this for the first time but it has been used , and many people are still discovering its benefits .
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat Breakfast like a king , Lunch like a prince , and Dinner like a beggar
- Eat more foods grown on trees / plants and less manufactured in plants
- Live with the 3"E ; ENERGY , ENTHUSIASM , EMPATHY
- Play more games
- Read more books than you did in previous years
- Sit in silence for at least 10mins each day
- Sleep for 7hrs
- Take a 10-30mins walk daily. And while you walk smile
Maintain good health...
Friday, 23 November 2012
The two (2) main drives that influence our desire to eat and thus take in food are hunger and appetite. Hunger our primary physiological or internal drive is controlled by internal body mechanisms.
Organs such as the liver and brain interacts with hormones, nervous system and other parts of the body to influence feeding behaviour. Appetite on the other hand, is our primary psychological drive to eat and is affected by external food choice mechanisms such as seeing a tempting bowl of Egusi Soup.
When you fulfill either or both drive by eating sufficient food , it brings about a state of satiety, temporarily halting our desire to continue eating, all thanks to the hypothalamus our satiety regulator. When stimulated, either by hunger or appetite , cells in the feeding center of the hypothalamus signals us to eat.
As we eat hunger decreases .When we are full, the satiety center of the hypothalamus are stimulated and we stop eating. Chemicals, Surgery and some cancers can destroy the feeding center activity . We tend to eat little and eventually lose weight and without the satiety center activity , we can eat ourway to destiny !
Feeding behavior also changes in response to body fat like Liposuction and tummy tuck can increase food consumption. Social customs , peers and authority figures can influence the desire to eat. Concern about appearance when on a date can influence the food choices made.We are also likely to eat more when we are with a large group of people than when with a few or alone. Also when someone else is picking up the cheque we tend to over eat. The easy availability of fast food has made weight control even harder. But does appetite really regulate what we eat? Almost everyone including me has encountered a mouth watering dessert or devoured it even on a full stomach.
We often eat because we see food. It smells good, looks good and tastes good. We might eat because it's the right time of the day e.g Breakfast or Lunch or we are celebrating. Stress or depression can often send you to the refrigerator.
Tuesday, 30 October 2012
A daily slice of watermelon could help prevent heart disease by haling the build-up of harmful cholesterol, new research shows.
Scientists who carried out studies on mice fed a high fat diet found the fruit halved the rate at which ‘bad’ low density lipoprotein or LDL, accumulated. LDL is a form of cholesterol that leads to clogged arteries and heart diseases.
The study was published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry.
Researchers from Purdue University in the United States, also found eating watermelon regularly helpful to control weight gain and resulted in fewer fatty deposits inside the blood vessels. They believe the secret to watermelon health-boosting properties lies in Citrulline, a chemical found in the juice. Previous studies have suggested Citrulline has a role to play in heart disease prevention by lowering blood pressure.
Although, the latest investigation showed no significant effects on blood pressure, it did reveal watermelons had a powerful impact on other heart risk factors. Heart disease is Britain biggest killer. Around 270,000 people a year suffer a heart attack and nearly one in three die before they reach hospital.
…………… regular checkup is important
Friday, 28 September 2012
Almost 8 – 10 women chose the wrong sized bra . Besides, the breasts size of a woman changes many times during the life span due to fluctuation in weight . I hope this will be helpful to those who don’t know or probably forgotten .
To know your cup size :
· Measure the body circumference ( just below breasts ) to measure band size
· Use a measure tape around the body as well as the nipples
· Deduct the size of the band from the size over the breasts to determine the cup size as follows :
A – cup
B – cup
C – cup
D – cup
DD – cup
DDD - cup
Thursday, 27 September 2012
It is a fact that breast sagging also referred to as ptosis is a condition experienced by all women sooner or later in their life (except those having small breasts) . Usually it is a condition occurring in adulthood, but it is now frequent among teenagers. For many of us it occurs quiet early even without pregnancy, this is possible in the case of those with heavy breasts.
Most women are concerned about the breasts sagging, for they feel it reduces their attractiveness. But as a matter of surprise, it is not a turn-off to many men. Don’t panic if you see your breasts have started to sag early for there are numerous options available because it is much easier to prevent the worsening of drooping than treating it.
Some of the common CAUSES of sagging breasts however include:
AGE – the most common factor responsible for sagging breasts lies in growing age. The skin tends to get loose because of inefficiency in producing sufficient amount of elastin and collagen thus, leading to the breasts to sag or droop down.
BRA – it is a common misconception that wearing a bra prevents the breasts from sagging. As a matter of fact, the ligaments involved in holding the breasts can get thinner and weaker if a bra is worn all the time.
SMOKING – this is due to the reason that tobacco smoke carries free radicals responsible for damaging skin cells thus, resulting in loss of elasticity. This can further result in facial wrinkles and drooping breast.
WEIGHT REDUCTION – when weight is loss, some amount of fat ebbs from the breasts. Generally, the skin and the ligaments contained by the breasts do not pull back accordingly leading to an empty looking breast which then droops.
BREASTS SIZE & GRAVITY – can pull down the skin and ligaments in heavy breasts. When gravity stretches the breast depending on the ligaments and the elasticity of skin, as specified by your diet and genes besides the normal aging process, the breasts tend to droop. Naturally, heavier breasts will droop more easily for they are being pulled down more by the gravity.
Certain TIPS and WAYS which can help in avoiding or slowing down the process of breasts sagging without requiring to go under knife. These include:
REPLACING OLD BRAS – even the best bra available have a life as long as 6 – 9 months. The cup and the band size get over stretched over time and the weight of the breast.
Moreover, the bra material is also weakened through washing thus making the bra more stretched over passing time. It is recommended to hand-wash bras in cold water and avoid drying it in a heated drier.
MASSAGE – regular massage on breasts helps increase the circulation in breast tissues. This increased circulation budges fresh oxygen through the muscles and tissues allowing the body to heal itself.
It implies that the body contains fresh oxygen to encourage the growth of collagen thereby, increasing elasticity.
MOISTURIZING – use moisturizing lotion on the body everyday. Dry and dehydrated skin is weaker and more at risk of getting stretched. It is advisable to look for products containing collagen-boosting ingredients, like holy basil or Echinacea.
SUPPORTIVE BRAS – in your days of being young , your breasts might have delineated, staying frisky even while moving bra-less. It is time to give your breast a break from all the heavy lifting from a supportive bra.
· Go for bra that fits you properly
· That keeps your breast in place all day
The main consideration while selecting the perfect bra is that the nipples should rest between the shoulder and the elbow. If the breasts droop lower, get re-fitted with a better spportive bra. Then the breasts will hold their shape even without a bra for a longer time if they are kept supported.
Other efficient solution are;
· Breast Augmentation Surgery
· Pectoral Exercises
· Breast uplifting
........be Breasts aware.....
Wednesday, 19 September 2012
Excess weight weight is measured by the following simple methods:
Body Mass Index ( B.M.I ) which incorporates both height and weight, is a convenient measurement to assess a person's body fat content.
B.M.I = Weight/Height2
B.M.I results are classified as follows :
B.M.I ( kg/m2 )
Risk of H.D
Low (but risk of other clinical problems increased)
18.5 - 24.9
25 - 29.9
Obese Class 1
30 - 34.9
Obese Class 2
35 - 39.9
Obese Class 3
Weight circumference is a simple and convenient method for predicting disease associated with excess weight
Substantially increased risk
80cm – 88cm
94cm – 102cm